This is a blog about nothing in particular. I am no one special, other than the fact that we are all special in one way or another. Along the ride we will talk about life in general, motorcycles, music, kids and other fun stuff. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

Sunday, September 05, 2010

Getting them out into the sun

I have steadfast rule that I only wash the bikes once a year. Well, not really, but today was one of the days to do it and they looked so good I had to take some pictures.
This is my R75/6. It was my father's. I remember well the day he bought it. The guy he bought it from was a customer of his from the motorcycle dealership. Dad knew the bike and the owner. We went over to New Jersey somewhere near Trenton and saw the bike at his house. The deal was done and Dad mounted up and rode it home. I paid for half of it, see this way I got Dad's R60/6.
Dad rode it home on I95 in some pretty heavy side winds. I remember driving behind him while he was leaned at about 20 degrees just to keep the bike going straight. The fairing didn't help with that. Right now the lowers are off. When on, the cover the front lower bike and wrap behind the cylinders. It is easier to work on with the lowers off. The Fairing is an Avon "Lynx" fairing. I have only ever seen one other BMW fitted with one. They were popular with the European police forces when the bike was in service for that use. People actually used to get out of my way on Rt.66 in Virginia when I was commuting to school. I guess the Blue/White combination had some people thinking I was the police.
This bike has classic lines. Its beauty is utilitarian. This is a bike to be ridden and used for multiple purposes. When I took ownership after my father passed away in 1998 I rode the bike to work almost every day. I rode this bike all over Northern Va, and went to Laconia, N.H. bike week in 1998. I rode it almost daily for 5 years until commuting was really starting to take its toll. The last major repair I did was replacing the exhaust system, from the heads back. It was quite pricey.
In 2003 I bought the 1993 K1100RS. Even at ten years old this bike was so far advanced of R75 that it was silly. This became my daily weapon. I could now pass cars at will on 66 because of the 100 horsepower coming from the transverse mount 4 cylinder engine (Just about exactly double the horsepower produced my the R bike). Dual discs in front and a single disc rear, along with ABS was a quantum leap in braking power and technology. I felt much safer on this bike. I rode it to school a lot. The bigger bags held my school books. I kept a pair of shoes in a cabinet at school. My students would joke about Mr. Rodger's as I changed into my riding boots and out of my sneakers. This bike is now 17 years old, but it is not going anywhere too soon, neither is the 35 year old older brother.
So which is better? Hmmm, neither I think. If I needed to hop on a bike and ride to California tomorrow I would take the K. But the R would make it, I am sure and it might even be more fun. A simpler bike if something is to occur is never bad either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home